Public Liability

What is public liability? 

Have you suffered an injury in a public place? A personal injury or public liability accident can happen on public or private property. If you have been injured somewhere other than work or in a car accident, you may be entitled to make a Public Liability claim. 

Contact us today on 1300 LAWYER or complete our online enquiry form to find out how we can help you through this difficult time.

What kinds of accidents are covered in a Public Liability claim? 

When you are injured in a public place, this can have severe short and long-term effects on your ability to work, and your quality of life. Kerin Lawyers is here to help you through the process to ensure you get the compensation you need to get through this difficult time. 

The types of public or private accidents covered by public liability can vary however some of the most common claims include; 

  • Injuries in parks, schoolyards or amusement venues
  • Injuries in rental properties
  • Injuries in shopping centres and other private buildings 
  • Injures caused by animals 
  • Recreational and sporting injuries
  • Labour-hire and construction accidents on the premises of the host employer
  • Physical and sexual assaults
  • Food poisoning 
  • Aviation and boating injuries 

Kerin Lawyer’s Public Liability claims process

The first step with any claim is to consult a Lawyer at the earliest opportunity.  They can help you take the necessary steps to obtain the personal injury compensation you rightfully deserve.  Most Public Liability claims can be resolved within 12 months, however they can take longer depending on how serious your injuries are and the treatment involved.

Most public liability claims are different however the following steps give you a good idea of what to expect when Kerin Lawyers handles your Public Liability claim: 

  1. A first chat where you book in a free consultation with Kerin Lawyers to discuss what happened. 
  2. An agreement is signed outlining your obligations and Kerin Lawyers obligations throughout the claims process. 
  3. Kerin Lawyers will start your claim by sending a Notice of Claim to the person who is considered at fault for your injuries. Note: You must serve a Notice of Claim Form to the person considered at fault 1 month from the date of consulting a Lawyer. If you haven’t consulted a lawyer yet, you must serve the form within 9 months of the date of accident. 
  4. Once the person at fault has received the Notice of Claim form, their public liability insurer has 6 months to investigate the claim before any decisions need to be made. During this time, Kerin Lawyers will keep you informed of any proceedings and continue to collect evidence to support your claim. 
  5. Once your injuries have stablished, you will then be assessed by doctors for medicolegal purposes to support the claim. 
  6. Kerin Lawyers will represent you in a settlement case to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. It’s extremely unlikely for the claim to go to court.

We observe the following policies; No Win, No Fee and free initial, no obligation consultations. If you do need to speak with us about an injury sustained on public or private property, call us on 1300 LAWYER or 1300 529 937 and schedule an appointment today. 


Do I have a claim?

A Public Liability claim can arise in numerous circumstances, including where an injury is suffered in a shopping centre, at an educational facility, in a park, amusement parks or other private or public places.aim.

I have been in an accident, what should I do?

Your safety and well-being is the most important, so you should seek medical advice immediately following an accident. Make sure you keep a copy of all your medical expenses for reimbursement after the commencement of your claim. 

When your injuries stabilise, you should contact a lawyer straight away as there are strict time limits involved with making a Public Liability claim. 

What Time Limits apply?

There are strict time limits that apply to Public Liability accidents.

If you do not commence a claim in the Court within three (3) years you could be prevented from making a claim for compensation.

While this may seem like a long time, there are numerous pre-proceeding procedures that must be complied with prior to commencing a claim in Court.

The pre-proceeding procedures include; 

• You must serve a Notice of Claim Form to the person considered at fault 1 month from the date of consulting a Lawyer.

• If you haven’t consulted a lawyer yet, you must serve the form within 9 months of the date of accident. 

Contact us today by filling out our quick online form or calling 1300 529 937 to ensure that you do not lose your right to claim compensation.

How much compensation will I get for a Public Liability claim?

The amount of compensation you receive will depend on your age, the injuries you sustained, your total loss of earnings and how much you have paid in rehabilitation costs. To be able to provide you a better idea of how much you can expect, we will need to gather all of the necessary evidence first. 

Get in touch with one of our public liability experts today to find out more on what you can claim following your injury. 

How much does it cost to make a Public Liability claim?

It is really easy to make a claim with Kerin Lawyers. Your initial consultation is free and we observe a No Win, No Fee policy. This means you don’t pay any legal fees at all unless we win your claim at the end of the claims process. Organise your free consultation now. 

What can I claim for?

If you have sustained an injury claimable under public liability insurance you can claim compensation. Depending on your circumstances you may be able to claim for the following:

  • Pain and Suffering & Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Past loss of earnings
  • Future economic loss that you may incur due to your injuries
  • Past and future rehabilitation, Hospital and medical expenses
  • In some cases you can also claim where you require care and assistance to be provided (either paid or unpaid), though certain criteria must be met.


Who pays the legal compensation in my legal action?

In most instances, the person who pays the compensation is the insurance company of the person or business at fault. This is who you make the claim against; the insurance company of the business rather than the actual person who owns the business. 

In the initial stages of building your case, Kerin Lawyers will help you find out who the insurance company is to start your claim. Dealing with insurance companies isn’t easy which is why it’s our job to take care of this for you! We want to take as much stress out of the situation for you so you can focus on rehabilitating your injuries.  

Why should I trust Kerin Lawyers with my claim?

We hold our client’s best interests as the number one priority, that’s the philosophy Kerin Lawyers has been built on for decades. We provide a service to all of our clients where we are proactively resolving matters quickly and in a cost effective manner. 

Our dedicated team seeks to minimise any emotional or financial hardship experienced by our clients through superior support and advice throughout the process. 

We also believe experience counts. So when you engage Kerin lawyers, you are dealing with a team of employed lawyers with no less than 5 years legal experience. 

Read more about Kerin Lawyers. 

We are independent lawyers acting for everyday Queenslanders

Apply for a Free Consultation

Or Call Us On:

📞1300 Lawyer
(1300 529 937)

Enquire Online